How Much Does LASIK Cost?
Back | Print
Knowing the price of laser eye surgery is important when considering whether the procedure is right for you. But trying to understand the underlying cost of LASIK can be pretty complex. To make sense of the cost and ensure you're getting the best value for your investment, you'll have to do your homework. The following information will help you get started.
Contributors to LASIK Eye Surgery Cost
LASIK eye surgery cost varies from provider to provider and depends on a several factors. The most common factors are the level of vision correction you require, the technology that will be used during the surgery, and the surgeon's experience.
- Required Vision Correction – LASIK eye surgery is usually more expensive for people with extremely poor vision. Depending on your prescription, you may end up paying more or less than another patient.
- Laser Technology – Another component of LASIK eye surgery cost is the type of technology used. New technology such as custom LASIK often costs more than older technology. Additional charges placed on surgeons by manufacturers of laser devices may get passed on to the patient. The patient's preference may also increase costs. The type of laser eye surgery your surgeon ultimately recommends is for your best possible outcome, yet may impact the LASIK eye surgery cost. Before committing, be sure to ask for the price break down of the LASIK procedure offered so you know exactly what to expect.
- Surgeon Skill – The cost of LASIK eye surgery may also be influenced by the eye surgeon's expertise. The most experienced surgeons tend to charge a little more since they are bringing a higher level of skill to
The LASIK Ball Park Estimate
Depending on the components listed above, LASIK eye surgery cost can run anywhere from $1,000 to more than $3,000 per eye. Often included in the price is the LASIK procedure, pre- and post-operative care, and a follow-up procedure if the initial LASIK eye surgery needs some fine-tuning down the road. The laser vision center should be able to inform you of all the services included in your vision correction.
Beware of Bargains
As tempting as it may be to look for the lowest price for LASIK, beware of extremely low costs. The promise of low cost LASIK may come with additional fees, a less experienced surgeon, or an undesired LASIK technology. If the price for LASIK seems too good to be true, it probably is.
Ask the LASIK Surgeon About Cost
Go into your LASIK consultation prepared. Ask the LASIK surgeon the following questions so you can make an informed decision about your investment in LASIK vision correction:
- What is and is not included in the LASIK eye surgery cost?
- What kind of LASIK technology do you offer?
- Am I being quoted for one or both eyes?
- How many post-op visits are included in the quoted cost?
- Will the cost of prescription medications be additional?
- If temporary eyeglasses or contact lenses are required, how much will they cost?
- Can I have a written, itemized quote?
- Do you provide patient references or testimonials?
The initial LASIK consultation is the best time to ask the laser vision correction provider for all the fees and services included. After all, when so much is at stake, you want to know exactly what you’re getting for your investment.